Monday, September 6, 2010

She who's winsome, she wins him

gold hair with a gentle curl...

I'm sorry.  the spirit will come, I promise.  But I HAVE to start with what happened last night.

I was exhausted last night, and went to sleep really quickly.  All of a sudden, at about 11h30, our sonnet goes off.  For those of you who don't know, the sonnet is that buzzer that people press when they want us to let them into the building.  And ours is loud. It sounds like a fatty fire bell right next to your ear.  So I jolt awake (ish) and think it's the morning.  "This must be Paul again," was my juimp of logic.  Paul one time buzzed us at 7h00 am.  Well, I decided to ignore it.  Then the sonnet went off again.  I was not going to get up.  At this time of night (by this point I knew it was night time) it could only be one of the scary men that hit on us during the day, and so I was going to ignore it for as long as it took for them to go away.  Soeur Lee, however, was going to peek out and see who it was.  She poked her head just over our balcony to see who was buzzing us.  She saw someone who kind of looked like César, Paul's brother.  But then a man walked away and down the street as the César looking man walked into the building.  Soeur Lee thought that must be our creeper.  She sat there and made sure the creeper walked all the way down the street before heading back into the bedroom.  She wasn't even out of the living room before our doorbell rang.  Crap.  She stood there and waited, hoping they would go away (i wonder how many people have tried this with us, teehee), but they rang again.  The corridor light was off, so she couldn't even look through our peep hole.  I was lying in bed thinking "Don't you open that door.  Don't you let those creepers know that we are even here," with my blankets up around my face.  Finally she asked through the door "C'est qui?" Who is it?  And they said "Paul et César."  All I hear is this: "Oh SUCK."  My companion did NOT know why the Obrecht boys were at our door at 1130 at night, but they were for some reason.  She opend the door and there they were, standing in our dark corridor.  I hear Paul say, in English "YOU'RE ALIVE!!! YOUR PRESIDENT CALLED US."  "You're lying," Sr Lee replies.  "Check your phone, he called you first!!" was Paul's response. Soeur Lee, in a fit of madness, I am certain, said "Hey look, I'm wearing my retainer."  Really?  That was when I decided to come check this out.  I wrapped my blanket around myself for modesty and saw that Paul and César were there in pj's and tennis shoes.  It turns out that we forgot to call in numbers last night, and left our phone on silent after a RDV.  Our District Leader called us like FIVE TIMES.  At 1047 they called us for the last time; at 1050 the Zone Leaders called us.  At 1100 President Called us.  Apparently, he then called our bishop, who gave him Paul's phone number and then called Paul and asked him to go see if we were alive.  At 1113 Paul called us.  And at about 1125 we opened the door and found them there.  Paul told us "You better call your president, right now.  You better call him." (he's only been off his mission since like April, so he's still very much so a missionary;°  We called him, and he said he was glad we were alive and to make sure and call in our numbers the next morning.  I almost died laughing at this.  Soeur Lee and I could NOT believe it.  Half of the mission thought we were dead, and President Staheli made Paul and César Obrecht come make sure we were alive.  César got a HUGE kick out of the whole thing.  Paul got over being concerned and then laughed at us.  Wow.  It was AMAZING.  I'm still laughing about it.  Because WE DID NOT LET THEM INTO THE BUILDING.  THEY SNUCK INTO THE BUILDING WHEN THE "CREEPER" LEFT IT.  Soeur Lee told them they were creepy, but thanks for making sure we were alive.  Teeheeeeeheeee.  And then, as we tried to go back to sleep, she told me "They have so much family all over the Paris region.  I served in their cousin's ward for 7 months, and they tell each other everything."  "OKay..."  "Soeur Barros.  I will never live this down.  Never."  Hahahahahahahaha!!!


Well, our week wasn't all fun and near death experiences.  It started out at the Louvre, which I fell in love with.  Then we had Zone conference where we got the smack down on rules (kind of... I'm not breaking any, so I'm good).  then we had the wordl's slowest day teeheee.  We had ONE appointment.  ONE.  We started the mroning doing passby's, but NO ONE WAS HOME.  So we tried to do area book finding.  No luck.  These people have fallen off the face of the earth.  Then, fifteen minutes before the appointment, the lady calls and cancels on us.  Soeur Lee kind of snapped and said "FINE.  We are GOING HOME, we are writing spiritual thoughts, and we are MAILING THEM TO LESS ACTIVES."  Cool.  So we did, and then laterr went to CEP, which started 30 minutes late.  If I can find the picture, I'll show yuou what our CEP looks like for the first half hour.  Always.  Then our FLAKEY beyond FLAKEY ward mission leader bailed on us and said "yeah we'll have the meeting tommorrow" which of course we never did.  Then our appointment that we usually teach at his house said he needed to do it at the chapel, so our ward mission leader said he couldn't teach with us, but he decided to feed his home teachers instead, who happened to be the only other people we could find to teach with us: Paul and César.  We scraped around and found other members to teach with us, but there is NOT good blood between us and our RIDICULOUS ward mssion leader.  Because the next night he cancells on us last minute with the excuse that he's just "too tired to drive out there (five minutes by car, people), and he doesn't know this family any way so what's the point of him coming?"  Um, hello.  This is a part member family that JUST MOVED INTO THE WARD.  NO ONE KNOWS THEM.

Ha.  Okay.

Life is good here.  I had my first baptismal date set.  Of course, he tells us five minutes later that he's moving to a city in the GENEVA MISSION.  SO, good bye hard work.  We will call the elders in the ville you're moving to and telling them to take good care of you.

Ahahaha.  The life as a Paris sister missionary.

I love you all.  The work is taking a turn here.  We're heading for quality not quantity.  In fact, I have a short spiritual experience to share:

We went and visisted this woman who is on bed rest this week.  Her daughter was there, and she moved in recently to take care of her Mom.  It's a terrible terrible situation that will only end in tears, but the daughter finally talked to us.  She's been inactive for nearly 15 years.  And she just told us everything.  Why she left, what's going on in her life.  She said she knows she's not really mad at the members... she's mad at God.  At one point in the conversation I was overwhelmed with the feeling of love.  I knew right then and there that heavenly Father was trying to send His love to this poor woman, but she would not accept it.  it was a sad and inspiring moment.  So my urge for today is... know that God loves you.  he really really does.  Let Him love you and bless you in your life.  Pray and talk to Him.  He wants to talk to you.

I love you.  I know is there.  I know that He loves each of us uniquely.

Love,
Soeur Kacey Barros

No comments: